Technology

Politics live: Keir Starmer faces backlash as councils say election u-turn is ‘extremely disappointing’

· 5 min read
Politics live: Keir Starmer faces backlash as councils say election u-turn is ‘extremely disappointing’
Liveupdated
  1. News
  2. UK
  3. UK Politics
Politics live: Keir Starmer faces backlash as councils say election u-turn is ‘extremely disappointing’

The government agreed to pay Reform UK’s legal costs after the party’s challenge over the postponement of local elections

Rebecca Whittaker, Maira Butt & Bryony GoochTuesday 17 February 2026 01:00 GMT
  • Bookmark
  • CommentsGo to comments

Bookmark popover

Removed from bookmarks

Close popoverVideo Player PlaceholderClose'Obey the law of the land': Liz Kendall warns social media giants to comply with UK laws or face nationwide banView from Westminster

Sign up for the View from Westminster email for expert analysis straight to your inbox

Get our free View from Westminster email

Get our free View from Westminster email

View from WestminsterEmail*SIGN UP

I would like to be emailed about offers, events and updates from The Independent. Read our Privacy notice

Prime Minister Keir Starmer has faced backlash from councils after the government was forced to abandoned plans to postpone local elections for councils in May in yet another U-turn.

Labour had initially announced plans to cancel elections in 30 areas this year, impacting 4.5 million people, in order to free up “capacity” to undertake an overhaul of council structures.

Several councils have called the U-turn “extremely disappointing”, with Laura Lock, deputy chief executive of the Association of Electoral Administrators, pointing out election workers “have lost months of essential planning time for reinstated May 7 elections."

A Ministry of Housing, Communities and Local Government (MHCLG) spokesperson said the decision came after “legal advice” following a challenge from Reform UK leader Nigel Farage, who said “we took this Labour government to court and won.”

Mr Farage has suggested that local governments secretary Steve Reed should resign following the row over council elections.

“I think for a minister to do something that is clearly unlawful, otherwise they would not have gone and withdrawn themselves from the case on Thursday… Seems to me that if a Government minister does something illegal, they really ought to resign.”

key points

  • Government abandons plans to delay local elections
  • Government to pay Reform UK's legal costs after local elections challenge
  • PM says he 'didn't know' about Labour Together probe
  • Starmer called to look into think tank investigation into journalists
  • Starmer to force all AI chatbot providers to abide by the Online Safety Act
  • Liz Kendall warns social media giants to comply with UK laws or face nationwide ban

Starmer abandons plans to cancel May council elections in latest U-turn

Starmer abandons plans to cancel May council elections in latest U-turn

Government agrees to pay Reform UK’s legal costs in further humiliation for prime ministerBryony Gooch17 February 2026 01:00

Where in the country had their elections postponed?

City councils in Lincoln, Exeter, Norwich, Peterborough and Preston had been among those where ballots were not to take place on May 7, alongside several districts such as Cannock Chase, Harlow, Welwyn Hatfield and West Lancashire.

Polling day had also been postponed for county council voters in East Sussex, West Sussex, Norfolk and Suffolk.

Bryony Gooch17 February 2026 00:00

£63 million made available to local authorities undergoing change during election

Some £63 million will be made available to local authorities undergoing structural changes as the government has abandoned plans to postpone elections across 30 councils this May after receiving advice from lawyers following a legal challenge from Reform UK.

Local Government Secretary Steve Reed had approved proposals to delay the polls to help deliver a major reorganisation of local authorities.

“I recognise that many of the local councils undergoing reorganisation voiced genuine concerns about the pressure they are under as we seek to deliver the most ambitious reforms of local government in a generation,” Mr Reed said.

“My officials will be in touch with those affected councils to understand if any further practical support will be required.”

Bryony Gooch16 February 2026 23:00

How could a UK social media ban for under-16s work?

How could a UK social media ban for under-16s work?

Consultation into new social media protections to launch in March as government pledges to do all it can to keep children safe onlineBryony Gooch16 February 2026 22:00

Watch: Starmer speaks as Labour announces crackdown on social media to protect children

Starmer speaks as Labour announces crackdown on social media to protect childrenBryony Gooch16 February 2026 21:00

Josh Simons must temporarily step down while Labour Together investigated, say Lib Dems

Responding to the Cabinet Office's investigation into the Labour Together scandal, which saw the think tank under Josh Simons MP's leadership commission research into journalists' “funding and origins”, Liberal Democrat cabinet office spokesperson Lisa Smart MP said:

“I’m appalled by reports of smear tactics by a party that promised to make politics cleaner than clean. It looks like the group that credits itself with getting Labour into government has carried out an outrageous attack on our independent free press.

"Josh Simons should temporarily step down as Cabinet Office minister while the investigation takes place to avoid any conflict of interest.”

Bryony Gooch16 February 2026 20:00

Councils 'welcomed' additional funding following govt U-turn

Councils across England have “welcomed” additional funding provided by the UK Government after it abandoned plans to postpone local elections.

Plans to delay the elections for 30 local authorities while they are undergoing structural changes had been approved by the Government before a legal challenge from Reform UK, which then saw the Government withdraw the decision following legal advice.

Some £62 million will be made available to those local authorities now once again expected to run elections in May this year.

Spokespeople for Stevenage Borough Council (SBC) and Worthing Borough Council (WBC) have both welcomed the additional funding, and said their elections will proceed as planned.

Councillor Richard Henry, leader of the Labour-run SBC, said: “Although I am surprised at this announcement, our council welcomes the £63 million additional capacity funding being made available to local councils going through local government reorganisation.

“This funding will help increase capacity to manage this complex reorganisation, while continuing to deliver our ambitious plans to make Stevenage even better, and running local elections.”

Bryony Gooch16 February 2026 19:45

Rosindell calls for 'radical action' on immigration

Reform UK MP Andrew Rosindell has renewed calls to repeal the Human Rights Act and leave the European Convention on Human Rights.

During a rally in Romford, Mr Rosindell, who defected to the party in January, said the government had failed to lower immigration numbers and told the audience there was a need for “radical action”.

“There is now a need for radical action, because legal migration at its current scale is not sustainable,” he said.

“Contrary to what the Treasury might tell us, it is making us all poorer.

“Our politicians have completely lost control of our borders...Any country that cannot protect its borders is not a country in any meaningful sense.

“If we are serious, there is only one course of action, we must repeal the Human Rights Act, we must leave the European Convention on Human Rights, and restore to our parliament the authority to act in the national interest.

“Once that authority is restored, we must begin the process of mass deportation for every individual who has entered this county illegally.”

Andrew RosindellAndrew Rosindell (Getty)Harriette Boucher16 February 2026 19:43

I didn’t really enjoy being prime minister, Tony Blair admits

I didn’t really enjoy being prime minister, Tony Blair admits

The documentary about Sir Tony Blair’s life also saw his wife reveal he has never bought her flowers Bryony Gooch16 February 2026 19:30

Lincoln council leader says election planning to 'resume immediately

The leader of a council has said planning for the May election will now “resume immediately” after the Government said it will go ahead as initially planned.

Councillor Naomi Tweddle, leader of City of Lincoln Council, said: “Following the Government’s decision to withdraw its plans to postpone May’s elections we want to reassure residents that our election planning is well advanced.

“We were awaiting the outcome of the judicial review and, therefore, had retained venue bookings, staffing and print arrangements.

“As a result, planning for the May election can now resume immediately. Local government reorganisation remains a key priority for the council.

“This will require significant preparation and capacity, our focus remains on ensuring the process delivers the best possible outcomes for residents and is implemented safely, responsibly, and effectively.”

A spokesperson from Hastings Borough Council said: “In light of the news that the Secretary of State has withdrawn the decision to postpone local elections, Hastings Borough Council is now working to put arrangements in place to deliver both the borough council and East Sussex County Council elections on 7 May 2026.”

Bryony Gooch16 February 2026 19:15Newer1 / 7Older

More about

ChildrenAIsmartphonesreformschatbotsKeir StarmerLabourPrime MinisterCabinet Office

Join our commenting forum

Join thought-provoking conversations, follow other Independent readers and see their replies

Comments

Most popular

    Popular videos

      Bulletin

        Read next