Technology

Man Utd urged to complete £100m transfer move ahead of Arsenal

· 5 min read
Man Utd urged to complete £100m transfer move ahead of Arsenal
Man Utd urged to complete £100m transfer move ahead of Arsenal Tom Olver Tom Olver Published February 16, 2026 8:39pm Updated February 16, 2026 8:40pm Share this article via whatsappShare this article via xCopy the link to this article.Link is copiedShare this article via facebook Comment now Comments Manchester United and Arsenal Club Crests Manchester United should beat Arsenal to the signing of Sandro Tonali, says Rene Meulensteen (Picture: Getty)

Former Manchester United coach Rene Meulensteen has encouraged the club to pursue a possible move for Sandro Tonali in the summer transfer window.

The Red Devils prioritised overhauling their misfiring attack last summer, with Matheus Cunha, Bryan Mbeumo and Benjamin Sesko arriving through the doors at Old Trafford for a combined fee of around £200million.

Club bosses had also been keen to bring in a deep-lying midfielder to suit Ruben Amorim’s much-maligned 3-4-3 system, reportedly identifying Adam Wharton, Elliot Anderson and Carlos Baleba as potential targets.

Brighton have since confirmed United’s interest in Baleba on the back of an exceptional season for the 22-year-old Cameroon international last term at the Amex Stadium.

But according to Brighton CEO Tony Bloom, United simply ‘went away’ when informed that Baleba would not be sold unless an astronomical fee was offered for the former Lille man.

Despite Amorim’s departure as head coach, United remain in the market for a midfielder in the mold of Baleba – and the likes of Joao Gomes and Ruben Neves were also linked over the course the January transfer window.

If it were up to Meulensteen, though, Newcastle duo Tonali and Joelinton should both be on United’s radar as options who ‘could fit the bill’ at the Theatre of Dreams.

Get your football fix

Don't want to miss the week's biggest football stories? Metro's exclusive football newsletter, In The Mixer, is your essential guide.

From the latest transfer rumours and managerial moves to analysis of the biggest games and a lot more, our experts have you covered.

Sign up here, it's an open goal.

Aston Villa v Newcastle United - Emirates FA Cup Fourth Round Tonali was heavily linked with Premier League leaders Arsenal in January (Picture: Getty) Newcastle United v Tottenham Hotspur - Carabao Cup Fourth Round Newcastle are demanding a fee of at least £100m for the Italy midfielder (Picture: Getty)

Widespread reports claimed Arsenal made an approach for Tonali following an injury to Mikel Merino last month, but Newcastle made it clear the Italian was not for sale. It’s understood the Magpies have since slapped an asking price of £100m on their prized possession.

‘Sandro Tonali is a good player and he’s done really well for Newcastle,’ Meulensteen told BetGoat.

‘The rumours I heard were that he possibly wanted to go back to Italy, but he’s definitely a good player who understands how to play that role in midfield and he’s a good passer of the ball.

Argentina v Australia: Round of 16 - FIFA World Cup Qatar 2022 Meulensteen believes United need to bolster their options in midfield (Picture: Getty)

‘Manchester United definitely need to look into that position and what they need, I think they could look at Joelinton in that position. He obviously came there as a forward and Eddie Howe has dropped him and turned him into this massive motor in midfield.

‘He is a great player that has been learning from Bruno Guimaraes who is a leader, a strong character, a winner.

‘He’s possibly hard to get, but he could all fit the bill in my opinion.

‘Having said that, so does Adam Wharton because he’s so good at playing forward and that is exactly what the forwards would thrive on at Manchester United. Elliot Anderson again, great.’

To view this video please enable JavaScript, and consider upgrading to a web browser that supports HTML5 video

Up Next

Previous Page Next Page

But while Meulensteen recognises United’s apparent weakness at the base of the midfield, he is also wary about forcing Kobbie Mainoo out of the side again – as was the case under Michael Carrick’s predecessor Amorim.

‘There are so many, there’s plenty out there,’ Meulensteen, one of Sir Alex Ferguson’s most trusted lieutenants, added.

‘But you wouldn’t want to bring too many in because you don’t want Kobbie Mainoo to end up back on the bench again.

‘He’s proven in those games that Michael Carrick has played him and he has all the right to keep playing and improving because you’ve got an outstanding player there.’

Newcastle United FC v PSV Eindhoven - UEFA Champions League 2025/26 League Phase MD7 Tonali has remained coy over his future beyond the summer (Picture: Getty)

After the incessant rumours linking him with Arsenal towards the end of January, Tonali appeared to reaffirm his commitment to Newcastle with his animated goal celebration in the side’s FA Cup win over Aston Villa on Saturday.

Tonali, who scored twice in a 3-1 victory at Villa Park, later explained: ‘The first one, this celebration was, I think, seven months without scoring; if you don’t score for seven months, after the first goal, you celebrate for 10 or 11 goals – like Bruno [Guimaraes]!

‘But after the second goal, I came to Eddie [Howe] because in the past few weeks, people spoke about our relationship, but I work every day with the gaffer, the gaffer works every day with me, and our relationship is perfect. It’s not broken and I think this is perfect for the team.

‘We try to do the best for this team, every game, because we play a lot of games – every three days, we play, and we have to be concentrated every time in the training ground to do the best for our team.’

Aston Villa v Newcastle United - Emirates FA Cup Fourth Round Tonali scored a second-half brace in Newcastle’s defeat of Villa (Picture: Getty)

Tonali has made 96 appearances in all competitions across his three-year spell with Newcastle and got his hands on some silverware last season as Howe’s men lifted the Carabao Cup.

A ten-month ban – after Tonali was found to have breached Italian betting regulations – meant the midfielder played just eight league games in the debut season at St James’ Park.

Tonali’s current contract with the Toon runs through to June 2028, with the option of a further 12 months.

@metrosportuk

Newcastle midfielder Sandro Tonali admits to illegal betting❗️❗️❗️ The Italian 23-year-old has admitted today he was betting on AC Milan games, some where he played others where he didn’t. He now faces up to a 3-year ban depending on the severity of the offences but could get a lighter sentence for aiding and admitting his gambling history to authorities. Two other players are also involved in gambling, Nicolo Fagioli and Nicolo Zaniolo. #tonali #sandrotonali #acmilan #tonalibetting #footballcontroversy #sportsnews #newcastle #newcastleunited #tonalinewcastle #fagioli #zaniolo

♬ Minimal for news / news suspense(1169746) – Hiraoka Kotaro

Arsenal are not the only team to have explored a possible bid for Tonali, with Serie A giants Juventus also known to be long-term admirers of the former Brescia and AC Milan man.

In a recent interview with Tuttosport, Sandro’s agent, Giuseppe Riso insisted the Italy international was yet to make a decision regarding his future beyond the end of the season.

Asked if Tonali could be set to return to the Italy in the summer, Riso replied: ‘There’s no preference right now.

‘It’s still early. What we’re saying today won’t apply tomorrow.

More Trending

‘Newcastle couldn’t part with him now and it wasn’t worth moving, especially since Sandro is very attached to the club.

‘We’ll evaluate things in the summer and decide what to do.’

Riso added: ‘Newcastle is having a hard time letting go of Sandro, and he wants to lead the club into the Champions League,’

‘These transfer discussions will take place later.’

POLL Poll

Will Sandro Tonali still be a Newcastle player next season?

  • YesCheck
  • NoCheck
Sign up to In The Mixer, your guide to the week in football. Exclusive analysis, FPL tips and transfer talk – sign up, it’s an open goal. Team Expand Options ? Select All Select All Arsenal Arsenal Aston Villa Aston Villa Bournemouth Bournemouth Brighton Brighton Burnley Burnley Chelsea Chelsea Crystal Palace Crystal Palace Everton Everton Fulham Fulham Leeds United Leeds United Liverpool Liverpool Manchester City Manchester City Manchester United Manchester United Newcastle Newcastle Nottingham Forest Nottingham Forest Sunderland Sunderland Tottenham Tottenham West Ham West Ham Wolves Wolves Email I agree to receive newsletters from Metro I agree to receive newsletters from Metro Sign UpSign Up

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply. Your information will be used in line with our Privacy Policy

For more stories like this, check our sport page.

Follow Metro Sport for the latest news on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.

Comment now Comments Add Metro as a Preferred Source on Google Add as preferred source Football Newsletter – In The Mixer

Punchy analysis, transfer talk and more from Metro's football experts, sent straight to your inbox every week.

Team Expand Options ? Select All Select All Arsenal Arsenal Aston Villa Aston Villa Bournemouth Bournemouth Brighton Brighton Burnley Burnley Chelsea Chelsea Crystal Palace Crystal Palace Everton Everton Fulham Fulham Leeds United Leeds United Liverpool Liverpool Manchester City Manchester City Manchester United Manchester United Newcastle Newcastle Nottingham Forest Nottingham Forest Sunderland Sunderland Tottenham Tottenham West Ham West Ham Wolves Wolves Email I agree to receive newsletters from Metro I agree to receive newsletters from Metro Sign UpSign Up

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply. Your information will be used in line with our Privacy Policy